Oil Filter? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
JKO Mobile
JKOwners.com is the premier Jeep JK Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
JK General Discussion>Oil Filter?
SlipKid 04:25 AM 07-19-2009
Kind of a strange issue I'm wondering if anybody else out there has noticed this. Occasionally about 2000 miles after an oil change I notice knocking in the engine on a cold start - as if oil pressure isn't rising fast enough. It happens in a split second, then everything is ok. After an oil change, this stops happening, and may not happen for the next 5 oil changes. I am beginning to think maybe somehow it's the filter getting clogged or just defective?...
[Reply]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

edivebuddy 08:02 AM 07-19-2009
Very common problem. Google ADB Valve

Try a Fram Tough Guard
[Reply]
priell3 08:37 AM 07-19-2009
I had a Fram Tough Guard on mine and never had the knock. When I had my JK in for warranty work they put on a Mopar filter and I got the knock. My last oil change I used a different brand and still have the knock. I'm going back to the Tough Guard.
[Reply]
PhilD 11:19 AM 07-19-2009
Some oil filters like Mobil 1 and K&N will drain back on the JK causing the knocking on startup. I use a Fram Extended Guard and have no problems. I use the XG3600 which is also an extended length.
[Reply]
07unlimitedx 10:47 PM 07-19-2009
I use an EA057 Amsoil filter and have not issues with this one.
[Reply]
SlipKid 02:52 AM 07-20-2009
Thanks for the info. I will try the Fram filter. It's better to come here to get answers. When I asked the dealer about the knocking they replied "this is normal". Sounds like alot of unneeded wear and tear on the engine that I'd rather not live with.
[Reply]
b1pig 03:03 AM 07-20-2009
actually, that was a good question. i heard the knock and knew it to be drain-back. my JK usually sits for 2 or 3 weeks at a time without being driven, so i know it when i hear it. right now it has the Mopar filter... and is a little overdue for a oil change. i was still pondering which filter to put on it this time around. thanks. :-)
[Reply]
gold knight 07:50 AM 07-20-2009
Yeah same here, knocking with the Mobil1 filter several months ago.

I've have been using the Bosch filters with no issues.
[Reply]
jacktuttle 11:13 AM 07-20-2009
I used a Mobil 1 filter one time. It knocked for a second with every startup. Now I only used the factory filters.
[Reply]
riverzendz 01:39 PM 07-20-2009
I've used the Mopar filters for 25k miles. I've heard knock maybe 1 time but outside of that, they've been good filters.
[Reply]
PhilD 01:48 PM 07-20-2009
IIRC The Mopar filters for the JK are currently made by Wix.
[Reply]
quickster47 03:37 PM 07-20-2009
Here is a good article on the ADB (Anti-Drain Back) issues revolving around Engine oil filters : design configurations.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...g=content;col1

Carl
[Reply]
Gunny 03:40 PM 07-20-2009
never had it with my K&N or Toughguard
[Reply]
PhilD 06:54 PM 07-20-2009
Originally Posted by Gunny:
never had it with my K&N or Toughguard
I never noticed at first with the Mobil 1 or K&N, but once I installed an oil pressure gauge it was obvious. Once I saw the delay in pressure on startup all of a sudden I could hear it too :-)
[Reply]
yellowJKmedic 08:56 AM 07-23-2009
So do you guys think it would be better to go with mopar filter or the fram. I would like to use a fram. the filterr I have right now I have been noticeing a knock on start up.
[Reply]
PhilD 09:23 AM 07-23-2009
Fram filters seem to work just fine. I run the Extended Guard ones, which are supposedly good for 10,000 miles. I don't run them for that long, but figure it's a better quality filter than the basic Fram and costs just a few $ more.
[Reply]
riverzendz 10:06 AM 07-23-2009
Originally Posted by PhilD:
IIRC The Mopar filters for the JK are currently made by Wix.
Yep, that's what I've read too.
[Reply]
afoulk 08:42 PM 07-23-2009
Originally Posted by PhilD:
Fram filters seem to work just fine. I run the Extended Guard ones, which are supposedly good for 10,000 miles. I don't run them for that long, but figure it's a better quality filter than the basic Fram and costs just a few $ more.
I think coffee filters would be better than the basic Fram filters:-) Actually, while their orange ones are junk, the ToughGuards and Extended Guards aren't to bad. Its just that there are better filters for the money out there. I will give them that on the ADBV's though, I've never had a Fram filter that it didn't work on.
[Reply]
Iron 08:45 PM 07-23-2009
Had an oil change at Lube City last week, ever since I've noticed a ticking on start up, damn oil filter. I don't trust Fram, as far as I'm concerned they are crap. No one I know has had anything good to say about them.

What other filters have the Anti Drainback Valve, besides the crap that you call Fram?
[Reply]
afoulk 09:12 PM 07-23-2009
They all have the anit drain back valve in them, atleast for our application, but they don't seem to work in most filters. Fram, Purolater, Wix (or Napa gold), and the Motorcraft FL400s' seem to be the only ones without any problems, or atleast very rarely have one with the ADBV.
[Reply]
StubEXrube 09:23 PM 07-23-2009
I picked up my Fram XG 3600 today, and will be having the oil changed tomorrow using Mobil1 synthetic.

Saturday, I'll be putting a few hundred miles on the Jeep....including some wheeling in over 100 degree temperatures. Should be a good test to see if I get any knocks.
[Reply]
PhilD 07:19 AM 07-24-2009
Fram had a bad rap due to the build of their filters in some reports from the 90's, and some later ones. The basic Fram filter these days is as good as any other budget priced filter, not great, but not crap either. Their better filters are as good anyone elses and in some cases like with the JK, better.

Basic Fram filters were slammed for the uses of cardboard end caps, which reputedly caused drain back issues. It is ironic that the drain back issues experienced with the JK are with high end filters like Mobil 1 and K&N, and that Fram filters don't cause this issue.
[Reply]
StubEXrube 10:20 AM 07-24-2009
- HA! So I went to the dealership this a.m. bright & early to have the oil changed.....Brought along the new Fram XG 3600 for them to use.

The service mgr then tells me that the synthetic oil will be $80 for 6 qts. plus labor = about $90. Including the $9 Fram filter, that's about $100.

She then tells me that they only have 3 or 4 qts. of synthetic on hand, and that they will have to order more.....and could I come back this afternoon?

Needless to say, I said "thanks but no thanks" and went back to walmart and picked up 6 qts of synthetic Mobil1 for about $30.

Did the change myself saving about $60. (but no more $8 oil changes since I'll be sticking with synthetic from here on out).
[Reply]
gold knight 10:53 AM 07-24-2009
Originally Posted by afoulk:
They all have the anit drain back valve in them, atleast for our application, but they don't seem to work in most filters. Fram, Purolater, Wix (or Napa gold), and the Motorcraft FL400s' seem to be the only ones without any problems, or atleast very rarely have one with the ADBV.
Bosch also = no problems.:-)
[Reply]
PhilD 11:08 AM 07-24-2009
Originally Posted by StubEXrube:
Needless to say, I said "thanks but no thanks" and went back to walmart and picked up 6 qts of synthetic Mobil1 for about $30.
Can't beat Walmart prices on Mobil 1, and they will take your old oil away, just take it back in the empty Mobil 1 containers.
[Reply]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up