LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 11-12-2008, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

black bear pass, CO

Anyone ever done this trail outside of Telluride, Ouray?? Looks like some good pucker factor! I just did Pearl Pass and Schofield but this looks a little more hairy!

http://flashoffroad.com/Articles/bla.../blackbear.htm

This is a YouTube video, the guy is pretty hilarious!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av7y77ytDw0

Lifted by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, JKS DC's, Skid Row Protected,
ProComp 7105, Kevlar MTR's,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Switchblade rear, Red Rock Fab stinger etc...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 11-12-2008, 10:02 PM
Rock God

Garage

That Warn photo add is pretty frik'en cool. Wicked cool. I watched a few other vids and it doesn't look so bad now but I bet it's far worse in person. Would be a great trail to run for sure.

post #3 of 28 Old 11-13-2008, 03:53 AM
Granite Guru

I did it last yeat. It really is not that bad except for the switchbacks on the down hill side going into Telluride. You will need to make 2 and 3 point turns to get down them.....

Jeff M.
2007 Rubicon Unlimited 4", 37's, 5.13's, and stuff
jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler, jeep jk unlimited, jk rubicon,
post #4 of 28 Old 11-13-2008, 04:46 AM

If you go to www.ouraycolorado.com and scroll to "jeep road conditions", it will show you that it is closed for the winter. It also lists all passes around that area.
post #5 of 28 Old 11-13-2008, 05:09 AM
Rock God

Every year they doze it skinnier and skinnier. Rumor has it 40 or so folk have gone off the edge and it is a long way down. Most of the trail is very moderate 4wd, but when you get to the switchbacks going down into Telluride you know you're nowhere near Kansas anymore.

As long as you're out this way, definitely do Poughkeepsie Gulch. It's off of Engineer Pass. If you do make it up the Wall, hang around for an hour or so and watch the show. That obstacle seems to bring out the crazy in most of the visiting Texans.

BEER Helping me do stupid things to my JK since 2007!
post #6 of 28 Old 11-13-2008, 06:51 AM
Granite Guru

I did it about six years ago. What made my trip even more memorable was that I had my clutch linkage break on my CJ7 just after starting down. Had to stop at each turn to put it into reverse or forward and then start it in gear. Made for an exiting trip.

2008 JK Rubicon
86ish Formula Toyota
post #7 of 28 Old 11-13-2008, 06:54 AM
Alec W

We need to plan a Colorado group Ouray trip next summer
post #8 of 28 Old 11-13-2008, 09:02 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec W View Post
Our Greenlee tool rep goes there every July for 4-5 days and says it is great, i have been here for 28yrs. and never been down there!

"The best beer cooler in the world will always be the edge of your favorite river."
post #9 of 28 Old 11-13-2008, 09:13 AM
Alec W

Quote:
Originally Posted by a plumber View Post
Our Greenlee tool rep goes there every July for 4-5 days and says it is great, i have been here for 28yrs. and never been down there!
I went twice the year before last. It's stunning down there.
post #10 of 28 Old 11-13-2008, 09:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to pitcherofnectar

hey i'm down lets set a date
post #11 of 28 Old 11-13-2008, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec W View Post

FO Sure! Hey Alec I think I'm going to check out Left Hand Canyon this weekend if you are around.. PM for details!

Lifted by

post #12 of 28 Old 11-13-2008, 02:28 PM
Rock God

Send a message via AIM to jocrazy0

Went (riding with a buddy) down it in 2004. I didn't think it was that bad... but again I wasn't driving and we were following an XJ driven by someone who had been down it a couple of times. So with a good spotter on the switchbacks it is not that bad. Yeah, you have to make 3 and 4 point turns, so a steady foot on the clutch is a good thing. But the scenery is worth the pucker. Take a camera and take lots of pictures.

2007 Rubicon, Graystone, Auto, Dual, Power, Tow,GENTEX autodim mirror,COOL TECH antenna mount&exhaust,CIBIE,HELLA TPMS,AEM CAI, Fuel Door, Grab Handles,Tuffy,Thule,Olympic,HESCO Supercharger, HID, RR XHD FB w/stinger,DRAKE hoodlatch with locks
1972 C104 Commando - Bone stock
post #13 of 28 Old 11-13-2008, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

When does the passes usually open down there???

Lifted by

post #14 of 28 Old 11-13-2008, 09:26 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by airric00 View Post
Last year we couldn't get through until the first of July. And then they finally drove snow cutters through them because the Jeep tours and Jeep rental companies were losing so much money. Let me know when you're coming down. That is if you don't mind yokel form the area riding along.

BEER Helping me do stupid things to my JK since 2007!
post #15 of 28 Old 11-14-2008, 05:53 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by seer View Post
Every year they doze it skinnier and skinnier. Rumor has it 40 or so folk have gone off the edge and it is a long way down. Most of the trail is very moderate 4wd, but when you get to the switchbacks going down into Telluride you know you're nowhere near Kansas anymore.
Last time I went down there we came upon a rollover on Imogene Pass, just as the rescue crews got there. Three people died, one survived. Earlier that year someone slipped off Blackbear, killing two. On the Imogene rollover, it was assumed the vehicle pulled over to let someone else by. The Blackbear rollover was blamed on a rain storm.

Quote:
As long as you're out this way, definitely do Poughkeepsie Gulch. It's off of Engineer Pass. If you do make it up the Wall, hang around for an hour or so and watch the show. That obstacle seems to bring out the crazy in most of the visiting Texans.
One time on Poughkeepsie, we got to the wall and pulled over to scope it out. As we were figuring out our lines, a couple four wheelers approached. The first one ran the wall right were we were standing. We grabbed the front of the four wheeler just as it was starting to roll. We were able to drag him to the top. His buddy, watching this, decides to try a different wall, not near us. He gets 1/2 way up, and rolls his four wheeler. Unfortunately, it rolled back onto its wheels. The four wheeler then takes off on its own back down the hill, fast! Luckily for him, the four wheeler stopped when it hit the front of my wife's XJ. At least I ended up with an ARB front bumper for the XJ after the insurance companies settled!

And yes, the four wheelers were from Texas

peter

post #16 of 28 Old 11-14-2008, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Last year we couldn't get through until the first of July. And then they finally drove snow cutters through them because the Jeep tours and Jeep rental companies were losing so much money. Let me know when you're coming down. That is if you don't mind yokel form the area riding along.
For sure man... I will put a trip on the Calendar for July sometime to be safe. If it opens earlier let me know

Quote:
One time on Poughkeepsie, we got to the wall and pulled over to scope it out. As we were figuring out our lines, a couple four wheelers approached. The first one ran the wall right were we were standing. We grabbed the front of the four wheeler just as it was starting to roll. We were able to drag him to the top. His buddy, watching this, decides to try a different wall, not near us. He gets 1/2 way up, and rolls his four wheeler. Unfortunately, it rolled back onto its wheels. The four wheeler then takes off on its own back down the hill, fast! Luckily for him, the four wheeler stopped when it hit the front of my wife's XJ. At least I ended up with an ARB front bumper for the XJ after the insurance companies settled!

And yes, the four wheelers were from Texas

peter
I am sure you get a lot of YAHOO's from Texas there... Sounds like fun!

Lifted by

Last edited by airric00; 11-14-2008 at 09:18 AM.
post #17 of 28 Old 11-14-2008, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Probably a lot of "Texans" that think y'all are Freakin Krazy. I love a good "pucker" as much as any wheeler, the feeling of one wheel in the air, etc...But those pics (especially the old Warn blk & wht) are too much. I'll wheel just about anywhere for some good scenery and companionship, but that ledge looks like zero room for error (driver or mechanical). If you go over the edge, try to land on your enormous nutz to cushion the fall.

For real- Stay safe and take some video or pics if able.
post #18 of 28 Old 11-14-2008, 11:29 AM
Openly Hostile

Yeah, I don't think would catch me on that. Rolling it over on a small hill is bad enough, rolling it down a mountain to my death is not on my list of things to do!

Jason
post #19 of 28 Old 11-14-2008, 11:48 AM
Alec W

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMF View Post
Yeah, I don't think would catch me on that. Rolling it over on a small hill is bad enough, rolling it down a mountain to my death is not on my list of things to do!
I bet you'd like Lion's Back then :

http://www.myprojectjk.com/200604moablionsback.html

post #20 of 28 Old 11-14-2008, 12:02 PM
Openly Hostile

Actually, I would have done it if it was still open!

Jason
post #21 of 28 Old 11-14-2008, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

I guess turning around at the top to come back down is what scares people the most. I would do lions back before black bear pass.
post #22 of 28 Old 11-14-2008, 12:33 PM
Alec W

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I guess turning around at the top to come back down is what scares people the most.

First time I did LB was about a 27 point turn with 4 spotters and I was scared out of my wits.
Second time was about a 7 point turn with one spotter.
Third time I was first up and did a 3 point turn with no spotters (in an H2 with a bad turing radius).
post #23 of 28 Old 11-14-2008, 10:32 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Our passes start to clear out or be cleared out about 2 weeks after Father's Day or around mid-July at 12,000-13,000 feet.

Colorado Mountains = Land of Mountain Trails

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13

'08 JK Sahara, Jeep Green, BFG MT's, Pro Comp 4" Lift, Smittybuilt XRC8 Winch, Olympic BOA front & Olympic Defender rear bumpers, Olympic A/T Slider Rails, Spidertrax Spacers, SeatGlover Seat Covers, Bestop TrekTop, Husky Mats, Midland 75-822 CB, Magellan Maestro 3250.
post #24 of 28 Old 11-15-2008, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMF View Post
I don't think its that bad... I bet the people that went over had no clue what they were doing.

Nice Pics Alec! I saw you tube videos of Lions Back. Pretty Gnarly pucker factor I am sure the first time around!

Lifted by

post #25 of 28 Old 11-15-2008, 09:21 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
I don't think its that bad... I bet the people that went over had no clue what they were doing.
This is a copy of an article from the Denver Post of the Imogene accident:
Quote:
Colorado Springs - A Colorado Springs couple were killed and their son and a friend were seriously injured when their Jeep Grand Cherokee rolled off a mountain trail on Colorado's Western Slope.
Daniel Gluklick, 50, and his wife, Jeanine, 47, died at the scene Saturday when their sport-utility vehicle rolled about 800 feet down a mountain, said Sgt. Lawrence Oletski of the Colorado State Patrol.

Cole Gluklick, 11, and Ian Nordstrom, a boy whose age wasn't available, suffered multiple injuries and were airlifted to St. Mary's Hospital in Grand Junction.

All four were ejected as the Jeep went down the embankment, according to the accident report. None were wearing seat belts, Oletski said.

The accident happened on Forest Service Road 869 on Imogene Pass, about 3 1/2 miles east of Telluride, Oletski said. The pass is 12,000 feet in altitude.

Advertisement

Gluklick was in critical condition and Nordstrom was said to be in serious but stable condition Sunday.

The initial investigation has ruled out weather, speed and alcohol consumption as possible causes of the accident.

"At this point it looks like unfamiliarity with the road," Oletski said.

Edward Gluklick, Daniel's father, said his son was an experienced trail driver. It was an activity the family did a lot, he said at his Michigan home.

"He was a very skilled driver," the elder Gluklick said of his son. "Something really strange and unusual must have happened for him to lose control."

Edward Gluklick said Daniel did classified work for the military and worked on cars in his spare time.

The couple have two teenage daughters, Edward Gluklick said. He identified them as Corinne, 18, and Chloe, 15.

"He was very much an asset in everything he set out to do, and he was my best friend as well as my son," Edward Gluklick said.

He described his daughter-in-law as "absolutely delightful" and "a wonderful mother."

The news came as a shock to close neighbors of the family.

Bob and Cindy Sabol said the small acreage Gluklick lived on in the Black Forest area didn't have a house on it when the family moved in about eight years ago.

They lived in a garage, heated with a wood stove, cooked on a Coleman stove and divided the single room with sheets for a year while they built their home, Bob Sabol said.

Neighbors kiddingly called them "the pioneers."

They had horses, dogs and goats. Jeanine Gluklick raised Cashmere goats competitively and sold the wool locally.

Jeanine also ran a small day-care out of her home, and the boy with them in the accident was a youngster she had cared for since he was an infant, Cindy Sabol said.

The Gluklick's were described as "a strong family unit" that often participated in activities together.
They actually rolled the ZJ by driving too far up the uphill side to let someone around, rolling onto the road, and then off. When we got there, there was a still a block of ice from their cooler in the middle of the road, and the two dogs wondering around.

I can't find a good article of the Blackbear accident, but I am pretty sure they part of a jeep club and were pretty experienced as well.

Sorry to keep dragging this up, but it is just a reminder to be careful out there!

peter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode