LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old 07-19-2009, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Oil Filter?

Kind of a strange issue I'm wondering if anybody else out there has noticed this. Occasionally about 2000 miles after an oil change I notice knocking in the engine on a cold start - as if oil pressure isn't rising fast enough. It happens in a split second, then everything is ok. After an oil change, this stops happening, and may not happen for the next 5 oil changes. I am beginning to think maybe somehow it's the filter getting clogged or just defective?...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 07-19-2009, 07:02 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Very common problem. Google ADB Valve

Try a Fram Tough Guard
post #3 of 37 Old 07-19-2009, 07:37 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I had a Fram Tough Guard on mine and never had the knock. When I had my JK in for warranty work they put on a Mopar filter and I got the knock. My last oil change I used a different brand and still have the knock. I'm going back to the Tough Guard.

MikeP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 37 Old 07-19-2009, 10:19 AM
TrailDuty.com

Some oil filters like Mobil 1 and K&N will drain back on the JK causing the knocking on startup. I use a Fram Extended Guard and have no problems. I use the XG3600 which is also an extended length.
post #5 of 37 Old 07-19-2009, 09:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I use an EA057 Amsoil filter and have not issues with this one.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #6 of 37 Old 07-20-2009, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for the info. I will try the Fram filter. It's better to come here to get answers. When I asked the dealer about the knocking they replied "this is normal". Sounds like alot of unneeded wear and tear on the engine that I'd rather not live with.
post #7 of 37 Old 07-20-2009, 02:03 AM
Rock God

Send a message via MSN to b1pig

actually, that was a good question. i heard the knock and knew it to be drain-back. my JK usually sits for 2 or 3 weeks at a time without being driven, so i know it when i hear it. right now it has the Mopar filter... and is a little overdue for a oil change. i was still pondering which filter to put on it this time around. thanks.

'15 Ram 1500
2008 Kawasaki KLR650
needed: boat and plane
post #8 of 37 Old 07-20-2009, 06:50 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Yeah same here, knocking with the Mobil1 filter several months ago.

I've have been using the Bosch filters with no issues.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #9 of 37 Old 07-20-2009, 10:13 AM
Rock God

Garage
Thumbs down Mobil 1 = knock

I used a Mobil 1 filter one time. It knocked for a second with every startup. Now I only used the factory filters.

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #10 of 37 Old 07-20-2009, 12:39 PM
JKO Addict!

I've used the Mopar filters for 25k miles. I've heard knock maybe 1 time but outside of that, they've been good filters.
post #11 of 37 Old 07-20-2009, 12:48 PM
TrailDuty.com

IIRC The Mopar filters for the JK are currently made by Wix.
post #12 of 37 Old 07-20-2009, 02:37 PM
Wheeler

Here is a good article on the ADB (Anti-Drain Back) issues revolving around Engine oil filters : design configurations.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...g=content;col1

Carl

Building my Jeep one mod at a time, slowly.
post #13 of 37 Old 07-20-2009, 02:40 PM
Rock God

never had it with my K&N or Toughguard
post #14 of 37 Old 07-20-2009, 05:54 PM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
never had it with my K&N or Toughguard
I never noticed at first with the Mobil 1 or K&N, but once I installed an oil pressure gauge it was obvious. Once I saw the delay in pressure on startup all of a sudden I could hear it too
post #15 of 37 Old 07-23-2009, 07:56 AM
Granite Guru

So do you guys think it would be better to go with mopar filter or the fram. I would like to use a fram. the filterr I have right now I have been noticeing a knock on start up.

Everyone's a pacifist between wars. It's like being a vegetarian between meals.~Colman McCarthy

post #16 of 37 Old 07-23-2009, 08:23 AM
TrailDuty.com

Fram filters seem to work just fine. I run the Extended Guard ones, which are supposedly good for 10,000 miles. I don't run them for that long, but figure it's a better quality filter than the basic Fram and costs just a few $ more.
post #17 of 37 Old 07-23-2009, 09:06 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
IIRC The Mopar filters for the JK are currently made by Wix.
Yep, that's what I've read too.
post #18 of 37 Old 07-23-2009, 07:42 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
Fram filters seem to work just fine. I run the Extended Guard ones, which are supposedly good for 10,000 miles. I don't run them for that long, but figure it's a better quality filter than the basic Fram and costs just a few $ more.
I think coffee filters would be better than the basic Fram filters Actually, while their orange ones are junk, the ToughGuards and Extended Guards aren't to bad. Its just that there are better filters for the money out there. I will give them that on the ADBV's though, I've never had a Fram filter that it didn't work on.

SOLD-08 Unlimited X, "jeep green", auto, limited slip, hushpower muffler, Aerotech Interceptor gauge,Powerstroke tranny cooler, skidrow evap skid, AFE Pro 7 filter, Teraflex leveling kit, EVO control arm skids, 15x8 Black Rock 909's, 33" KM2's
post #19 of 37 Old 07-23-2009, 07:45 PM
Granite Guru

Had an oil change at Lube City last week, ever since I've noticed a ticking on start up, damn oil filter. I don't trust Fram, as far as I'm concerned they are crap. No one I know has had anything good to say about them.

What other filters have the Anti Drainback Valve, besides the crap that you call Fram?

Mike B

08' Jeep Wrangler
08' Dodge Avenger SXT (winter beater)
64' Plymouth Sport Fury(sold)
58' Triumph TR-3A(in 1,000,000 pieces)
post #20 of 37 Old 07-23-2009, 08:12 PM
Rock God

They all have the anit drain back valve in them, atleast for our application, but they don't seem to work in most filters. Fram, Purolater, Wix (or Napa gold), and the Motorcraft FL400s' seem to be the only ones without any problems, or atleast very rarely have one with the ADBV.

SOLD-08 Unlimited X, "jeep green", auto, limited slip, hushpower muffler, Aerotech Interceptor gauge,Powerstroke tranny cooler, skidrow evap skid, AFE Pro 7 filter, Teraflex leveling kit, EVO control arm skids, 15x8 Black Rock 909's, 33" KM2's
post #21 of 37 Old 07-23-2009, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

I picked up my Fram XG 3600 today, and will be having the oil changed tomorrow using Mobil1 synthetic.

Saturday, I'll be putting a few hundred miles on the Jeep....including some wheeling in over 100 degree temperatures. Should be a good test to see if I get any knocks.
post #22 of 37 Old 07-24-2009, 06:19 AM
TrailDuty.com

Fram had a bad rap due to the build of their filters in some reports from the 90's, and some later ones. The basic Fram filter these days is as good as any other budget priced filter, not great, but not crap either. Their better filters are as good anyone elses and in some cases like with the JK, better.

Basic Fram filters were slammed for the uses of cardboard end caps, which reputedly caused drain back issues. It is ironic that the drain back issues experienced with the JK are with high end filters like Mobil 1 and K&N, and that Fram filters don't cause this issue.
post #23 of 37 Old 07-24-2009, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

- HA! So I went to the dealership this a.m. bright & early to have the oil changed.....Brought along the new Fram XG 3600 for them to use.

The service mgr then tells me that the synthetic oil will be $80 for 6 qts. plus labor = about $90. Including the $9 Fram filter, that's about $100.

She then tells me that they only have 3 or 4 qts. of synthetic on hand, and that they will have to order more.....and could I come back this afternoon?

Needless to say, I said "thanks but no thanks" and went back to walmart and picked up 6 qts of synthetic Mobil1 for about $30.

Did the change myself saving about $60. (but no more $8 oil changes since I'll be sticking with synthetic from here on out).
post #24 of 37 Old 07-24-2009, 09:53 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoulk View Post
They all have the anit drain back valve in them, atleast for our application, but they don't seem to work in most filters. Fram, Purolater, Wix (or Napa gold), and the Motorcraft FL400s' seem to be the only ones without any problems, or atleast very rarely have one with the ADBV.
Bosch also = no problems.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #25 of 37 Old 07-24-2009, 10:08 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Needless to say, I said "thanks but no thanks" and went back to walmart and picked up 6 qts of synthetic Mobil1 for about $30.
Can't beat Walmart prices on Mobil 1, and they will take your old oil away, just take it back in the empty Mobil 1 containers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode